3 steps to take if your ex refuses to pay child support in Georgia

On Behalf of | Mar 26, 2024 | Family Law

In Georgia, both parents have an obligation to support their children financially. When a relationship ends, the court often orders child support to ensure that the child’s needs continue to be met by both parents.

However, there are cases where an ex-partner refuses to pay the agreed-upon child support, leaving one parent to shoulder the financial burden. This can lead to significant stress and financial hardship for the custodial parent and negatively impact the well-being of the child.

When this happens, the custodial parent may use the following steps to help enforce the court’s child support order.

1. Document missed payments

Keeping detailed records of missed payments is a critical first step. Documentation should include the dates and amounts of missed child support payments. The court will likely ask to review this information as proof of nonpayment when seeking enforcement of the child support order.

2. Contact the Division of Child Support Services

The Georgia Division of Child Support Services can help enforce child support orders. Custodial parents can file a complaint with DCSS, which may then take steps to collect the unpaid child support. This can include such actions as withholding income and intercepting tax refunds.

3. Explore other enforcement actions

DCSS has several tools at its disposal to enforce child support orders. These can include suspending the non-paying parent’s driver’s license, filing liens against their property or even pursuing criminal charges in cases of severe non-payment.

When an ex-partner refuses to pay child support in Georgia, the custodial parent has options to help ensure they can financially meet their child’s needs and best interests. While it may be a challenging situation, the courts have resources and procedures in place to enforce such orders, including programs for noncustodial parents who say they are struggling to make payments.